Saturday, May 15, 2010

Anyone for a slice of watermelon?

     What a wonderful Saturday afternoon I am having. I made a quick trip to JoAnns fabrics last night and picked up a few dollar items and a couple punches for 40% off. I had this little idea in my head for a "picnic basket which would be a sort of a monthly card organizer.
    I have this sweet little old lady in mind to receive this. Her name is Miss Maggie and she goes to my husband's little church that a Minister friend of his is trying to revive...she's always giving my husband ten dollars for playing his guitar (the church can't afford a pianist so my husband volunteers guitar right now) and he doesn't want to hurt her feelings and not accept it. When my husband takes our son to church, Maggie sits with him during the service part while my husband is playing... My son loves her...she is as sweet as watermelon! That gave me an idea...what goes better in a picnic basket than watermelon? Nothing...so without further ado...
       I thought this would also be appropriate for the 4th of July cards many of you OWH'ers are working on! I started with a lime green card which I used a bowl to draw around to give it that oval shape so this is not a perfect thing but as MS says "it is a good thing". Then I did the same with the pink part only made a 1/4 inch smaller or so. I also distressed it with some red ink and just used the edge of the ink to create a little dimension in the center. Then here's the cool part ...the flower punch I had purchased came in really handy for the seeds. I just punched three flowers and then cut off the petals to use for seeds -perfect size...gluing them on...ARGHHH! Now I needed a little embellishment. I had also purchased this little Sizzix vine die for 4.99. I wasn't even sure it would work in my cuttlebug but I used the A plate & the 2 B plates and it worked like a charm! I stacked a couple of other flowers on top and finished with a black rhinestone! Then it was on to the inside!

       I lined the inside with a  lighter pink  more suitable for writing on. Then I had to taste the watermelon so I took a huge bite out of it! YUM! This was not as easy as I had first thought as my punch was trying to cut through 5 layers but it eventually went when I put ALL of my weight into it--hmmm! Then I covered this little chipboard tag...stamped a message... and tied the red/white/and blue ribbons...and of course added my little flowers and WALLA!!! Now I am onto the picnic basket which will be made of two (modified) great value muffin boxes. I will post that as soon as I finish! Have a happy scrapp 'n weekend & thanks for stopping by!
Cheryl

3 comments:

Paula S. said...

I love the watermelon card and can't wait to see how the basket turns out. Nicely done. She's going to smile when she sees it!

Bev E said...

What an adorable card!

Melanie Holzwarth said...

This is wonderful. I love it. I can't wait to see your picnic basket.